With all the new self contained brewing machines out there, it's hard to know which one to choose from. I ordered a Grainfather system and was able to complete 5 brew days with it.
My conclusion? Definitely worth the price! Watch the video to see my hands on Grainfather review.
Grainfather Pros and Cons
- Recirculation during mash yields amazing efficiency (high 90s)
- Kid friendly, no open flames and outside doesn't get blazing hot. Could easily put in top of counter and brew inside
- All inclusive system. Don't need mash tuns, pumps, separate boil kettle, or chiller. Comes with everything you need.
- Set it and forget it mentality. You can easily set the mash temp and walk away. Also makes step infusions a breeze
- Clean up is very easy. It's very light and you can use a clean in place solution as well which saves you time.
- Takes a long time to get up to temperature
- Boil isn't vigorous unless you use an insulation jacket.
- Lower voltage model means you have to plus directly into an outlet
- Display screen is not very bright.
Oh, and here's an unexpected bonus of the Grainfather: This thing is not only a great home brew machine, but it also allows you to cook Sous Vide with it! Hands-down the best chicken, steak, and porkchops I've ever made.