Why cook with beer?
Because it makes meals taste better.
Pretty simple, huh?
Just like wine, beer can really enhance a recipe.
Chefs have known this for years, and more and more are catching on. Beer’s advantage is that it can provide almost any flavor – floral, nutty, sweet, bitter, coffee, roasted, honey, and the list goes on and on.
6 More Ways to Cook with your Favorite Beer:
Wine can’t even come close to this variety. On top of that, beer is much cheaper, a benefit for the home cook and the restaurant chef.
Beer and Food Recipes:
Some basic guidelines:
- Never cook with a beer you wouldn’t drink. If you don’t like it in your glass, you’re not going to like it in your meal.
- Match intensities. The beer and food should be in harmony. Don’t cover up the flavor of the food with an intense beer, and vice-versa. That defeats the purpose of using the beer. Try to strike a balance with flavors, and it’s OK to just have the beer as a background flavor, as long as it enhances the rest of the dish.
- Take advantage of similarities. If the meal has a citrusy flavor, such as a Mexican dish that uses limes, use a beer with a citrusy flavor. A West Coast IPA would work well in this situation because of the citrusy hops that they use. Making a chocolate pudding? A porter or stout would bring it to life with their roasted chocolate notes.
- Be careful with bitterness. It’s easy to spoil a dish with a bitter beer. Remember that when you cook beer it concentrates the flavors, so a bitter beer will become even more bitter when cooked. Pale Ales and IPAs can work wonderfully, but err on the side of caution and don’t go overboard.
- Don’t just add beer for the sake of adding it. Really think about what it brings to the table. Maybe it’s not right for what you’re making?
Related: Spent Grain Recipes
More Beer and Food Related Articles:
- Ginger Beer Reimagined: How to Create Your Own Probiotic Elixir in the Kitchen
- Top Picks for Best Spanish Beer: Must-Taste Brews for Beer Enthusiasts
- Discover the Finest Hawaiian Beer: A Guide to Island Brews
- Great Beers; garage beers, shower beers, vacation beers, hot tub beers, and free beers
- Best Irish Beers: Experience the Top 12 Remarkable Beers of Ireland [St. Patrick’s Day & Beyond]
- Beer Cheese Dip Recipe: 10 Different Ways to Cook!
- From Cone to Keg: The Chilly Thrill of Ice Cream Beer
- Star Wars Beers: Hops from a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Bacon Brews & Burger Beers: The Beer Feast You Never Saw Coming
- Liquid Candy Beer: Willy Wonka’s List of Beers Unleashed on Your Taste Buds
- Break Time Brew: Kit Kat Beer, Snackable Sip You Never Knew You Needed
- The Brewed Bar: Twix Beer Unwrapped in a Pint
- Butterfinger in a Bottle: A Beer That’s Worth the Sticky Fingers!
- Candy Coated Pints: M&M’s Beer, Where Every Sip is a Rainbow
- Liquid Peanut Butter Cups: How Reese’s Beer is Redefining Dessert Beers