There is nothing better than to make your beer at home and try different recipes to share with your friends. To start this cool activity, you don’t need much: just a brewing set and some carboys and kegs.
However, choosing your keg shouldn’t be something you take lightly. Not only do kegs house your beer’s second fermentation, but they also provide a unique drinking experience.
Kegs are often made out of aluminium and can be recycled. There are a lot of different types of casks with a lot of different sizes and made with diverse materials. One of the best barrels for brewing beer at home is a torpedo keg.
1. What is a Torpedo Keg?
- 1 1. What is a Torpedo Keg?
- 2 2. Why do you need a Torpedo Keg?
- 3 3. Torpedo Keg Characteristics
- 4 4. Advantages
- 5 5. Factors to Consider Before Buying One
- 6 Best Torpedo Kegs for Homebrewing
Torpedo Kegs are a new type of barrels. They are known for not having rubber and being made out of stainless steel. Also, their most prominent feature is that they are stackable. That means that you can place one on top of another without problems.
This feature helps when you want to save some space on your house, and you don’t want your homebrewing to make you feel like your room is a trap.
They are very comfortable and come in a variety of suitable sizes. The fact that they have no rubber or sharp edges is another excellent point for these new types of kegs.
Once you look at them, it’s easy to see why their name is “torpedo keg”. Their shape imitates that of a torpedo, with the top resembling the bottom of the latter.
They come with handles, so it’s also easier to carry around.
2. Why do you need a Torpedo Keg?
This new type of barrel opened a new generation of comfortable homebrewing. The reason why you need a torpedo keg in your homebrewing vat is simple; you will save more space and use it the most convenient way possible.
Homebrewing is a hobby known for taking considerable space. However, torpedo kegs let you curve that by allowing you to stack them seamlessly; they’re also more stable than regular barrels.
You can place up to 3 stackable torpedos kegs together without any problem, especially if they have different sizes. Also, they have no sharp edges or rubber making it more high-end and easy to handle.
The absence of sharp edges also makes them more suitable for home brewing when there are kids around the house. You won’t have to worry about an accident. You also avoid the risk of cutting yourself while carrying them.
The stainless steel feature makes it very longlasting. One torpedo keg can last you a lifetime.
3. Torpedo Keg Characteristics
The torpedo kegs are stackable thanks to their design which locks them in place one on top of the other. Once you start building your keg tower, you’ll quickly notice how they “click” in area.
This feature makes them much more stable than your regular barrels; they don’t rest on top of each other, but they fit perfectly to form a solid structure.
They have an airtight seal that’s perfect for the second fermentation in your brewing process. You don’t have to worry about your beer decomposing thanks to oxygen or bacteria. These kegs are then perfect for providing a sophisticated and stylish way of serving beer.
Additionally, the stainless steel that covers this product helps it last the previously mentioned lifetime. You’re free from worrying about your precious torpedo keg degrading after years of use. You can finish your beer and clean them, and they’ll be ready for a second, third, or even tenth round!
The majority of them come with a rolled stainless steel handle to make it all more comfortable to grab without hurting yourself.
The way that these kegs are so easy to use and stackable is because they come with Ball Lock disconnects integrated; it makes it easy to take out the beer whenever you want without making a mess.
Buying a torpedo keg comes with a lot of benefits. You can save a lot of space on your homebrewing kitchen thanks to their stackable feature. This feature makes it easy to take out your beer without making a mess or having to move things around every time you want to drink some.
With this feature, you place them one on top of the other without issues. They fit perfectly, and you don’t have to worry about them falling around.
They come with no rubber or sharp edges and are made mostly out of stainless steel. Thanks to this fact your beer will have a better and secured sanitized environment to be. A non-sanitized keg can ruin a beer easy and quick, and by the time you noticed it would be too late.
Also, thanks to the material they are made out of a torpedo keg can last your lifetime without issues.
They are easy to use, easy to handle, and the majority of them are made out of very high quality. Last but not least, they even make great decoration!
Torpedo kegs have a futuristic and state-of-the-art look that makes them perfect for parties. You can stack them on a sturdy counter and have your guests serve their drinks from them.
As the party goes on, you can leave the empty torpedoes at the bottom. By placing the full ones on top of them, you can change your drinking barrel easily.
5. Factors to Consider Before Buying One
Before you go to your nearest local homebrewing store or your favourite online shop and get yourself some torpedo kegs, you must know that not all of them will work equally for you.
The Material it Has
You need to make sure the type of material you will be dealing with and the size. Stainless steel is the most common material for a reason. If you get a stainless steel keg, you’ll ensure a longlasting product.
However, the size can be a bit trickier. Larger kegs let you produce and serve more beer, but they can be cumbersome. Their size also makes it harder to stack them. You need to study your production size and how much space you have available.
How Big is it?
The less experience you have using them, the smaller your purchase should be. Smaller kegs are more comfortable to store, and if you need to keep more beer, you can always get another one.
The same isn’t something you can say about larger kegs. If you realize you didn’t need as much space, you’re stuck with a needlessly large container.
Does it have a lock system?
Also, make sure that your kegs come with the ball lock disconnecting system, so you won’t have any issues while getting your beer out of the barrel.
What’s the Weight?
There are a lot of different brands selling a lot of different type of torpedo kegs, and you need to make sure that you are buying the right one for you and your homebrewing space.
Moreover, this type of kegs is different from your typical keg. They are a little lighter, and the bottom tends to be wider to fit as much beer as possible.
Torpedo kegs are an attractive choice at the end of the day, and they are worth a try. You do need to investigate and make sure you are buying the right type of torpedo keg for you, and what you want to do and that includes size, material and brand.
The brand can seem unimportant for many, but a trustworthy brand can take a lot of weight from your shoulders.
Best Torpedo Kegs for Homebrewing
Slimline Torpedo Keg – 2.5 Gal
Morebeer! makes this Torpedo Keg from heavy-duty stainless steel. These are 1/4” thinner than your standard ball lock Cornelius kegs. It comes with handles and the ability to stack barrels with fittings. It also includes the ball lock quick disconnect system to make it more comfortable to accumulate too.
The dimensions of this torpedo keg are 8.3 x 8.3 x 14.9 inches, and it weighs 4 pounds. It can be filled up to 2.5 gallons.
- A comfortable container; It has excellent construction, and it’s easy to handle. It is not extremely heavy even when it’s filled with liquid, which makes it easy to carry around and move when you need to. The size is very convenient; multiple units can fit into some of the best kegerators without issues. It’s effortless to clean and sanitize thanks to the lack of rubber in it.
- Made to last; The ball locks and lids are made very well and high quality. The top is not challenging to unlatch, and the handles can be used for leverage if need be. The material of the vessel is very sturdy, and it can survive all different types of hits against tabletops or workbenches without a scratch or ding. The stainless steel material makes it very longlasting and hard to damage.
- Suitable for smaller scopes; It works perfectly for smaller batches of beer or even hard cider and mead.
- May leak if you’re not careful; When you remove the dip tube for cleaning you may have to snug up the connection after chilling the keg back down as the temperature drop loosened the post and causes small leaks.
Torpedo Keg – 5 Gal by Homebrewers Outpost
- Stacks with fittings in place
- Heavy duty stainless steel
- Torpedo keg - 5 gallon
Homebrewers Outpost sells this torpedo keg, also made out of stainless steel. It’s about 1/2″ wider than your standard ball lock Cornelius kegs.
This torpedo keg’s dimensions are 9.1 x 9.1 x 22.7 inches, and it weighs 9.5 pounds. It can be filled up to 5 gallons, and the stainless steel is marked as heavy-duty stainless steel.
- Sturdy and safe; The material is very sturdy and longlasting. The stainless steel material is high quality and ready to survive any hits against tabletops or any other surface. It has the perfect fitting to be stacked without the worry of it falling around by small shakes.
- Practical and convenient; It is effortless to stack and comfortable to carry around. It has comfortable handles with a good design that doesn’t hurt your hand when trying to move it. It doesn’t have any sharp edges that can cut you while you use it. It comes with the ball lock disconnect system so you can use it easily when having it stack with others kegs.
- Clean and free from contamination; It is easy to clean and sanitized without having to pull off a backbreaking work to finish. The lack of rubber makes it easy to prevent bacteria.
- Prone to leaking if mishandled; The lid can be harder to move around than the standard cover, it has to fit perfectly, or it starts leaking. It doesn’t hold pressure exceptionally well, and if you try to put a bit too much, it will start leaking.
Torpedo Keg – 1.5 Gal by Homebrewers Outpost
This torpedo keg is made out of stainless steel, and it’s made to be filled up to 1.5 gallons. It is made of high-quality materials. It is designed to stack with ball lock quick disconnects, and it fits perfectly on top of another. It is also made for easy sanitation and protection of your beer or the brewing of your choice.
The dimensions of this keg are 9.1 x 9.1 x 10.1 inches, and it weighs 5 pounds. Moreover, the maximum pressure this torpedo keg can hold is 130 psi.
- A small tank for your beer; It is made from heavy-duty stainless steel, making it very long lasting and sturdy. The material can survive multiple hits against any surface around your homebrewing space.
- Very practical; The handles are comfortable and make it easy to move the keg around. It is very comfortable to carry around without being enormously having, even when it’s filled with liquid. It is also designed to stack correctly with a tight-fitting. Ball-lock quick disconnect system makes stacking more easily without having to move your kegs around always.
- Very clean; It is effortless to clean and keep sanitized. It doesn’t have any rubber, so it’s cleaner and keeps a sanitized environment for your beer.
- Perfect for home brewing as small hobby; This one is great for small batches of not only beer but hard cider and mead too. It even fits in your kitchen fridge easily.
- May look sloppy; The whole keg can look and feel a bit rough, and you can notice some snags or scratches on the surface. The lid needs to be aligned with a lot of precision to avoid leaking.
Torpedo Keg – 2.5 Gal by Homebrewers Outpost
This new torpedo keg comes with a comfortable capacity of 2.5 gallons. As the rest of the items in this list, it is also made out of stainless steel. It has a high finished and system. It can be stacked thanks to the ball lock quick disconnects in place and serving. It also comes with rolled stainless steel handles that make the experience even more comfortable.
The dimensions of this keg are 9.1 x 9.1 x 14.6 inches. It’s 1/2″ fuller than a standard Cornelius keg. It also weighs 6.75 pounds.
- High comfort; The keg’s size is very comfortable when it comes to small batches and easy storing. The rolled stainless steel handles make it easy to carry around without issues. It can be stacked easily, and it fits right without the worry of it falling around. The ball lock quick disconnect system works excellent when stacking.
- Resistant to damage; Stainless steel is very longlasting and sturdy. The material can survive multiple falls and hits without breaking or altering its form. This keg also protects itself from burn marks and crannies thanks to the high-quality material.
- Perfect for home use; It’s perfect for beer, sodas, hard cider and mead. It can also easily fit on the bigger side of your kitchen fridge without a problem. The design is revolutionary and perfect to fit everywhere.
- May not be the safest; Some users have complained about the welds on the interior of the barrel being very porous and with a lot of coarse grinding. All of this can be points that easily harbor bacteria.
- It tends to leak if you don’t align the lid entirely and with precision.
- The keg’s material doesn’t prevent it from sliding around if you don’t have anything around to secure it in place.
Torpedo Kegs 2 pack 5 gallons by Torpedo
- SET OF TWO - 5 GAL BALL LOCK 304 SS Construction
- High Quality Laser Welded Seams AND ISO9001 Quality...
- 130 PSI Max Pressure
- Rolled SS handles make transport easy
- Stackable kegs - storage or EVEN SERVING when...
This is a set of two 5 gallon torpedo kegs with ball lock construction. They come with high-quality laser welded and hold a maximum pressure of 130 psi.
They are stackable and comfortable to storage or even when serving when the disconnects are attached. It relieves pressure carefully, and the ball lock works perfectly as well as the corny lid.
You can stack this kegs with any other size you want without worrying about them not fitting well together. This means that you can store as much space as you wish.
- Many uses; This product works correctly for water carbonation as well. These kegs are also perfect for medium to big batches of beer, hard cider or mead. You can get the most out of them regardless of whether you produce commercially or for home consumption.
- Very strong; These kegs are made out of stainless steel. This material is very sturdy and long lasting. It can survive falls and hits without breaking or changing its form. The material feels, looks and is high quality compared to the competition.
- Seamless to carry around; These torpedo kegs are perfectly stackable with any other keg size without any fitting issue. Thanks to its disconnects system, it can be easy to serve your drink without having to move your kegs around every time. The handles are comfortable and without any sharp edges that can hurt you when you are moving your kegs around. The kegs are not extremely heavy even when they are filled with liquid.
- Not too much effort when cleaning; They are also straightforward to clean and keep sanitized thanks to the lack of rubber.
- Requires care; The kegs tend to leak if the lid is not closed with a lot of precision. It doesn’t always hold pressure as expected; it may end up leaking a little. It doesn’t come with any secure accessory to prevent it from sliding around.
Which One’s the Best?
Taking your pick here can seem difficult. However, if you’re looking for home use, try the 2.5 gal option by Homebrewers Outpost. If you are looking for something bigger, the 5 gal option works better. Most of these are made from stainless steel, so they are sure to last you long. You can even wrap these up in a cool jacket to keep it cool outside of the fridge for longer.