Believe it or not, I did not always like the taste of beer. It was frustrating because I wanted to like it, but couldn’t stand that “beery” flavor.
Everyone said that eventually I’d acquire the taste, but that didn’t look too promising.
My problem was solved when I discovered that instead of draining can after can of yellow fizzy beer until I “acquired the taste“, the real key was trying the many other (better) styles until I found one that I loved.
It turned out that expanding my variety not only got me to like beer, but to become a connoisseur.
Beer Newbie Missions: Your Roadmap for Liking Beer
If you don’t like beer, it’s probably because you’ve been drinking the wrong types. I’ve laid out a plan to change all that by getting you to try higher-quality craft beer.
This 6 part series will provide you with a step-by-step strategy for becoming a fan of the suds.
The mission are made up of two parts:
- An action you will take to expand your knowledge and give you a taste of beer culture. These are fun and easy missions that I’ll walk you through with specific examples.
- The Beers to Buy section where I will announce the beer styles for that mission, with a few commercial examples for each. Instead of overwhelming you right off the bat, we’ll start off with lighter-flavors and then get more extreme. This strategy will help you acquire the taste, rather than be revolted by it.
Ready to go? Thirsty? Let’s get started!
- Find Where to Buy Good Beer; Local or Online.
- Learn How to Take Beer Tasting Notes; Stout, Brown Ale, Amber Ale
- Tour a Brewery; IPA, Doppelbock, Saison
- Pair Beer with Cheese; Double IPA, Lambic, Belgian Dubbel
- Cook with Beer; Russian Imperial Stout, Barleywine, Beglain Quadrupel
- Learn and read the from the best homebrewing books.