I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Steve Howe, the founder of Plan 9 Brewing. Plan 9 is a nanobrewery startup in Las Vegas, Nevada. Steve is making the jump from homebrewer to professional, something every homebrewer has dreamed about (you know it's true).
Pending the approval of the necessary permits, Steve plans to be fully up and running by September, 2010.
In the meantime, you can try Plan 9's beers for yourself by visiting the 4th Annual Lee's Beer Experience in Las Vegas. And here is Plan 9's website for your bookmarking pleasure: Plan 9 Brewery Website
Here is what we cover in the interview, with the video time in parenthesis:
- The definition of a nanobrewery (1:00)
- What Steve's stint in England taught him about beer (3:00)
- The cash investment involved in starting a brewery (6:30)
- What equipment Steve is using for his brewery and his brew schedule (8:00)
- Which permits are needed to start your own brewery (10:30)
- Where Steve will locate Plan 9 Brewing (13:20)
- How distribution and the three tiered system affects a new brewery (14:40)
- The state of the craft beer scene in Las Vegas (it may surprise you) (18:30)
- Plan 9's beer selection (there are some really creative ones) (22:45)
- How Steve handles the marketing side and his clever plan to sell his beer (25:30)
- Managing the split between brewing and selling (27:30)
If you have any questions feel free to ask them down in the comments and Steve will respond. Thanks for the interview Steve, and I'm sure BillyBrew readers will support Plan 9 Brewing!