I left off talking about how the Berliner Weisse brew day did not go quite as well as I planned.
When the brewing process was done, it was time to pitch the Lacto starter. The yeast starter would come 24 hours later. What happened next caught me totally of guard.
I was at work and got a call from my wife concerned about exactly “what my beer was doing“. The air lock was bubbling away and the top of the carboy was getting filled with a crystal foam like substance. Knowing that I had not pitched the yeast I thought she might be over reacting a bit…..WRONG.
When I got home a found a most unique (at least for me) site in my carboy, as you can see in the picture.
I decided the best approach would be to stick to the plan and pitch the yeast starter. After the pitching the yeast and shaking up the carboy I employed the use of a blow-off and not the air lock.
Fermentation was uneventful and the carboy sat for 3 months until I decided it was bottling time.
The original gravity was 1.030, and the final gravity was 1.009.
At 2.8% ABV this puts it on the bottom end of the BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines. The sample I tasted at bottling gave a light sourness, but the flavors balanced very nice. I'm not sure the sourness will build any more with time, but if not I'm still happy and when carbonated it should be a real nice summer beer.
The entire batch was bottled and although I will let most of it sit a couple more months, I am going to submit the beer to the local Fair Competition. I'm not expecting much, but the feed back from the judges should be helpful in brewing my next batch.
The next post will include both my first sampling and the judges notes from the Fair Competition.