Well, I’ve finally moved out of the Stone Age. I got a smartphone.
For being a pretty tech-savvy guy, it’s surprising that it took me this long to ditch the mini-fridge. I wish I did it sooner because this Galaxy Nexus is sweeeet.
Now that I can get in on the app craze, it’s time I start using Untappd. Ok I’ve actually been a member of Untappd for a year, but if you thought I only drank 80 beers in a year, then, well keep thinking that ; )
I used it on and off via the website, but after a late night out I never cared to log in and check-in my beers from my computer.
So armed with a smartphone, I’ll now enter the community of regular users. But first, a code of ethics. Why you ask? Because I’ve witnessed certain behaviors on Untappd and would always think to myself “No way I would do that.”
This is getting those thoughts into writing, so here we go:
My Untappd Code of Ethics
- Untappd is not a competition for me. I don’t care how much beer other people drink and have no desire to “beat them” at drinking. Some people brag about how many check-ins they have. I say get a life and hit the gym. I use Untappd primarily for tracking my own beers. The social aspect is fun, but it’s secondary. I really just want to remember what beers I’ve tried.
- I will not let Untappd make me a jerk in social situations. If I am in the middle of a conversation, I will not check-in beers or check my feed. Live in the moment, not through technology. This one really applies to smartphone use in general.
- 2 ounces are the minimum for a check-in. This basically means that a sip is not a check-in. 2 ounces are a common serving size for tasters and enough to experience a beer. A lot of people say tasters shouldn’t count and only a full beer should. To them I say “I don’t care what you think” and “Go look at rule #1.”
- I will not cheat, because that’s just stupid.
- I will not share my check-ins on social networks unless I add value. I’m not going to blast every single beer I drink to Facebook and Twitter. I’ll only post beers if it’s something I think people might be interested in, in which case I’ll add context in the form of a comment and/or picture.
There it is.
I don’t expect people to adopt the same code. This is for me and me alone.
I am curious though about what you think. Do you agree or disagree with any? Do you have ones I left out? Let’s hear from you Untappd users.
By the way, here’s my Untappd profile. Be my friend?
Latest posts by Billy Broas (see all)
- The Wine Book Every Beer Drinker Should Read (or…Sniff) - December 6, 2015
- My Journey from Home Brewer to Home Distiller (and how you can do it too) - November 16, 2015
- Craft Beer Lovers Split Over the Influence of Big Beer - October 16, 2015