Update: There is now a homepage for the keezer build. There you will find pictures, parts lists, and links to the blog posts I’ve written. Start there if you want to build you own.
It’s been a while since I’ve talked about my keezer build, so I thought I’d give everyone an update.
I had a feeling that the video would help people out, but I didn’t expect it to get over 11k views and inspire so many people to do similar builds. Cool!
Where I last left off, I made the collar and had two out of the four taps hooked up, with caps in the other two holes.
Since the last post, I’ve:
- Switched from using a “tee” on the CO2 to having four gas lines running through the manifold
- Added the final two Perlick faucets
- Added a new 3 gallon and 5 gallon corny
- Added a mini-dehumidifier
- Added a fan
The fan is what I mainly want to talk about.
The problem was that the top of the keezer was much warmer than the bottom because of the collar. The collar doesn’t have any cooling coils running through it, and we know cold air sinks, so that area stayed a good 14°F warmer than the bottom.
That meant the lines were warm and that first pour was always a warm and foamy one. No good.
The fan is used to circulate the air. It doesn’t have to be very strong, it just needs to get things moving.
After installing the fan, the temperature different between the top and the bottom went from 14°F to 3°F. Not bad.
Here’s how I built it.
Adding a fan to a keezer
The goal was to attach the fan to the collar and have it pointing down instead of sideways so it would push the warm air down and the cold air up.
At first I was stumped. I looked all over at other setups but couldn’t find exactly what I wanted. A lot of people attached the fan to the inside lid of of the freezer, but I haven’t damaged the freezer one bit yet and don’t plan to. That’s the whole reason I built the collar. It’s a tool belt.
Finally I decided on what you see below.
It’s a combination of hinges and a shelf. The hinges are great because they stick the fan far out past the lip of the freezer. The problem was that they wouldn’t stop at 90°, which is why I built the little shelf.
The shelf is just a scrap piece of plywood attached to the collar with a corner brace.
These are the parts I used:
- 3″ AC cooling fan from Radio Shack
- Extension cord
- 1 2-inch corner brace. The exact ones I bought aren’t on Ace’s site.
- 2 3-inch strap hinges
- Scrap piece of plywood I had lying around
- Two machine screws, washers, and nuts. Not sure the size but I fitted them to the fan at Ace.
Building it is pretty simple and you can probably figure it out from the picture, but a few notes:
- The wood screws went all the way through the plywood so I cut the tips off with a Dremel.
- I cut the female end off the extension cord and attached it to the wire leads from the fan using wire connectors.
- To be safe, I plugged the fan into a GFCI adapter.
- I spray painted the hinges and brace the same color and stained the plywood with the leftover stain from the collar so they match. It’s a big improvement as you can see from the pictures on facebook.
Like I said, it works great and although I’ll continue to tinker, I’m happy to call my keezer complete.
If you’re wondering about the drip tray, I decided not to add one. I have an old one I keep on the floor below the taps, but honestly the Perlicks drip so little that I don’t even need it.
Another useful addition was the dehumidifier. I tried Damp-Rid first and this works much better.
If there are any significant changes in the future then I’ll do another post, but otherwise, let me know if you have any questions. If you’re ever in Denver, swing by and grab a pint!